Looking for a free purchase order template to create professional purchase orders for your small or home-based business? While at InvoicingTemplate.com we committed to billing and invoicing forms, with our Invoice Manager version 7 installed you can easily convert any invoice form to a purchase order form.
For example, the default template shipped with the installer program has an invoice form, a quotation form and a purchase order form. Both the quotation form and the purchase order form are created from the invoice form, but were customized for different business purpose.
Here we look at the steps to follow when convert an invoice form to a purchase order form.
- First backup your invoice template and database file. To do this, copy the Excel template (usually ".xlsx" format, but here we have some samples in ".xlsm" format too) and Access database file (in ".mdb" or ".accdb" format).
- Open the invoice template as usual.
- Pull down the "Tools" menu on the "Invoice" ribbon.
- Click the "Copy Invoice worksheet to create Purchase Order worksheet" command.
- A dialog box appears that explains what it will do. Click "Yes" to confirm and continue.
- If a worksheet with the name "Purchase Order" already exists, the existing one will be renamed with the current date/time added. If you want to keep using the current one, click "No" to cancel the procedure.
- The operation begins. The floating message window shows what it is currently doing.
- During the operation, it creates a new "Purchase Order" worksheet, name all the cells with "oknPo" prefix, update formulas to use the new names, update the "cell link" properties of form controls (if any), replace all occurrences of the text "Invoice" with "Purchase Order", the "Cost" and "Price" column from the original "Invoice" worksheet is swapped.
- Once done, the template is switched in "Design Mode".
- The result "Purchase Order" form is functional, in most cases. Since it is created using the automated process, and the template design and layout could be very different from the standard one, you may likely need to tweak it manually.
For example, many templates here on InvoicingTemplate.com includes the "Balance Due" and "Payments" cells. These are surely not suitable for a purchase order form. While the tool delete the underlying cell names automatically, you need to clear the text labels manually.
The rules for designing the purchase order form are similar to what for invoice form. You can find detailed explains on Customize Invoice Template.
The "Purchase Order" worksheet contains several new buttons, "Suppliers", "Purchase Orders", and "Shipping Addresses".
- Suppliers: Click it to open a list of all the suppliers. This is a standard data list that allows you add, edit or delete suppliers. Advanced features like search bar is available here too.
- Purchase Orders: Click it to open a list of all the existing purchase orders. Again, this is a data list window that allows you to reorder columns, choose visible columns etc.
- Shipping Addresses: Click to open a list of shipping addresses that could be used on purchase orders. Note it differs from the shipping address for invoices and quotes.
If you click a cell in the "ship to" section, an "on-sheet picker" button appears, click the button to choose from a list of shipping address.
Most of our templates contains the "Invoice" form only. With this handy tools provided by Invoice Manager for Excel, you can easily create new purchase orders forms that works with the program, and has exactly the same look and feel as your invoices.
Favor Microsoft Word (".doc" or ".docx" format) than Excel? Think again. Both Excel and Word are part of Microsoft Office. Word is able to format a business document in they you like (like this Microsoft purchase order template shows), but Excel is better when it comes to do calculations. A professional purchase order template need be able to do calculations automatically. Invoice Manager for Excel offer even more advanced features such as automatic numbering, generating purchase orders in PDF format, email purchase orders etc.
Note that Purchase Invoice is different from purchase order.
Take a look at our sample templates below. You may find interesting idea for your new purchase order designs.
Here are our templates closely related to Purchase Order Template Free.
- c4126Image and Picture on Invoice, Quote and Purchase Order
- c7002Backorder Invoice Template
- c6018Freelance Invoice Template
- c5015Work Order Template
- c4047Professional Freelance Bill
- c3012Freelance Writer Invoice
- c7020Backorder Invoice Template (Landscape)
- c4076Labor Invoice with Gradient Border
- c5085Standard Invoice with Double Border
- c4070Labor Invoicing Sample
- c2002Simple 2-Column Sales Invoice Sample
- c2031Blank Service Invoice with Green Gradient Design
- c4035Real Estate Agent Invoice Template
- c7027Hotel Receipt Format with Blue Gradient Design
- c4069Bike Shop Invoice Template
- c4075Simple Template with Printable Watermark
Image and Picture on Invoice, Quote and Purchase Order
The first argument specify which image file to display. It could be a plain text value, or a cell that contains full path name of the image file. You can provide any image format supported by Excel, such "GIF", "PNG" and "JPG" etc.
Backorder Invoice Template
In the original sales invoice template that is shipped with Invoice Manager for Excel setup program, there is only on quantity column on the invoice detail section. This quantity refers to the quantity that the customer ordered, and it is also the quantity that was shipped to fulfill the order. If the quantity ordered is partially fulfilled, you may like to detail all these numbers - quantity ordered, quantity shipped, and quantity backordered. InvoicingTemplate.com offers you this Backorder Invoice Template, which is in Microsoft Excel format, to meet the requirements of these businesses.
Freelance Invoice Template
This invoice design has 6 columns on the invoice detail section - Description, Date, Hours, Rate / Fee and Amount. The Amount is calculated automatically using Excel formulas once the Hours and Rate / Fee are filled in. The other 5 columns, Description, Date, Hours and Rate / Fee are all fillable in this invoice format. As you can see from the screen shots below, this is basically a hourly service invoice template, like Hourly Service Invoice Template. You can also find other interesting invoice template in the Consulting Invoice Template category or Service Invoice Template category here on InvoicingTemplate.com, including those designed specially with UK (United Kingdom) style.
Work Order Template
The work order template added several new fields to the original invoice template to describe related information about the work or job to be done.
Professional Freelance Bill
You may find many invoicing templates available here on InvoicingTemplate.com meet the above criterion, including Freelance Invoice Template, Invoice Template Hourly Rate, or visit our service invoice template category. Every business is different. You may like your invoices not only including all the required information, but also looks professional and special to your business. That is why we at InvoicingTemplate.com create this new freelance invoice template and offer you for free, Professional Freelance Bill / Professional Freelance Billing Format.
Freelance Writer Invoice
We've already published an invoice format for freelancers, at Freelance Invoice Template; and for a list of invoicing forms that could be used by freelancers like designers, developers etc., visit Freelance Invoice Template For Service Business, Graphic Design Freelance Invoice Template, Freelance Web Design Invoice Template, etc. Unlike Freelance Invoice Template, where the calculation of line totals are done by multiply "Hours * Hourly Rate", in this billing template sample Freelance Writer Invoice Template, the amount of each line is manually fillable - this means that it is more suitable for project or contract - based billing. You can find more invoice samples for hourly-rate based invoicing under the Service Invoice Template and Consulting Invoice Template.
Backorder Invoice Template (Landscape)
Backorder Invoice Template (Landscape) is a variant and customization sample of c7002 Backorder Invoice Template. This Excel invoice template has the similar form layout and design as the original version, but is customized for being printable on standard A4 paper with landscape paper orientation.
Labor Invoice with Gradient Border
Set the gradient fill effects for other 3 borders - the top horizontal border, the right vertical border and the bottom horizontal border. In this design, make sure all 4 border use the same dark color and the same bright color. This, combining the proper selection of shading variants, we get the result as shown in the screenshot images - the top-left corner and bottom-right corner appear dark the other two corners, the gradient change is smooth without interruption. You may like to play with other possible options too. With the powerful tools provided by Excel, you can easily make your invoices stand out from the usual.
Standard Invoice with Double Border
- Drag your mouse to select the entire new "Print_Area". In this sample, it is $C$2:$L$48. Tip: you can just the the "Print_Area" name from the name box on the formula bar.
- Right-click one of the select cell and choose "Format Cells".
- Go to the "Border" tab.
- From the "Style" list, choose the double-border style.
- Choose a proper color.
- In the "Border" section, click the borders respectively.
- Click OK to close the "Format Cells" dialog box.
Labor Invoicing Sample
This printable labor invoice template covers job descriptions, hours, rates and total amounts, as well as the general fields for invoices such as invoice#, invoice date and payment term. It calculates taxes, subtotal, discount and total using Excel formulas.
Simple 2-Column Sales Invoice Sample
Simple 2-Column Sales Invoicing Template is a sample of customizing the default template shipped with Invoice Manager for Excel. It has two columns, Description and Amount, on the printable invoice body.
Blank Service Invoice with Green Gradient Design
- Backup your template.
- Click the "Design Mode" button on the "Invoice" ribbon tab.
- Click a "Taxable" checkbox to select it.
- Hit the DEL key on your keyboard to delete the selected checkbox control.
- Repeat the above steps to delete other "Taxable" controls.
- Exit design mode and save the template.
Real Estate Agent Invoice Template
The other two custom fields on the form include "Site Code" and "Project". The 4 columns on the invoice detail section include "Description", "Quantity", "Unit Price" and "Amount". Each row on the invoice body section allows about 3 lines of text. The text on the item cells are formatted as left alignment on horizontal, and middle on vertical.
Hotel Receipt Format with Blue Gradient Design
Compared to the Hotel Receipt Template (Template# c7001 here on InvoicingTemplate.com) , with this design, we removed vertical bar on the left since starting with Invoice Manager for Excel version 4.x, we have a task pane shown by default on the left size of the Excel spreadsheet. All the magnifying glass icons from the receipt form because with the new invoicing software, we introduced the "on-sheet picker" feature which shows a little button dynamically when a supported cell / field is selected, which provides the "pick from a list" function exactly as the original magnifying glass icons.
Bike Shop Invoice Template
For a simple example, without Invoice Manager for Excel installed, to create a new invoice you have to clear the fields manually, one by one. If Invoice Manager for Excel is installed, clearing the template (make the template ready for next new invoice) is as simple as clicking the "Clear & New" command. Without Invoice Manager for Excel, you have to number your invoices manually (i.e. assign each invoice a unique, continuous number. This is not as easy as it sounds; with Invoice Manager for Excel installed, you don't have worry about these things because invoice numbering is handled by the Excel invoicing app automatically - when you click "Save Invoice" and left the "Invoice#" cell blank, a new invoice number is generated automatically based on the previous number stored in the database.