You are safe to download the resources. We've added our digital signatures to the files.
Download this if you have already installed the Microsoft Store edition of Invoice Manager for Excel, and are looking for additional customized templates.
Download this if you want this design to be set as the default template by the installer program.
Screenshots and Images
The printed version.
Open the template in Excel.
This template now has a lightweight (simplied) version. Visit it at Lightweight proforma invoice format.
With the first and second samples on customizing the basic proforma invoice template, we learnt how to unprotect the Invoice worksheet and how to modify Excel color palette to change the color theme of an existing template, as well as how to enter your own company information, including replacing the default InvoicingTemplate.com logo image. This is the 3rd sample on how to create a new design for pro forma invoice template, focused on creating a drop-down list using the data validation feature of Microsoft Excel.
The default implementation of the Proforma Invoice Template here on InvoicingTemplate.com has a currency field on the Shipping Details section, which is a manually editable field. In practice the currency usually could be picked up from a limited set. For this reason, it could be implemented as a drop-down list, instead of a manually editable field. The benefit of using a drop-down list here is obvious - it is not only easy to use than a manually editable field, but also avoids typo mistakes. And the best part is that, Microsoft Excel provides direct support for this. Here are the steps to add the currency drop-down list to the pro forma invoice template.
- First choose a column (or row) to place the possible values. This should be an empty (not-used) area outside the printable form. In this example, we choose the range on the right side of the shipping details section. The possible currency types are: US Dollar, Euro, Pound Sterling, Japanese Yen - you could enter more on the column, just make sure there is no blank (empty) cells between valid possible values.
- Select the cell where you want the drop-down list - in this example, you select the currency field (the cell after the label "currency"). If you are running Excel 2007, Excel 2010 or Excel 2013, on the Data tab, in the Data Tools group, click Data Validation. If you are running Excel 2003, choose Excel menu Tools > Validation.
- In the Allow box, click List.
- To specify the location of the list of valid entries, do one of the following:
- If the list is in the current worksheet, enter a reference to your list in the Source box or click in the Source box and then select your list in the current spreadsheet to populate the reference automatically.
- If the list is on a different worksheet, enter the name that you defined for your list in the Source box.
- Make sure that the In-cell dropdown check box is selected.
- To specify whether the cell can be left blank, select or clear the Ignore blank check box.
- Optionally, display an input message when the cell is clicked.
- Specify how you want Excel to respond when invalid data is entered.
Tip: To delete a drop down list, select the cell with the list. Click the Data tab, and then in the Data Group, click Data Validation. In the Data Validation dialog box, click the Settings tab, and then click Clear All.
Tip: The width of the drop-down list is determined by the width of the cell that has the data validation. You may need to adjust the width of that cell to prevent truncating the width of valid entries that are wider than the width of the drop-down list.
A few concluding remarks: Microsoft Excel provides powerful tool for formatting data and doing calculations using formulas. As we see from this sample, as simple customization for the original pro forma invoice template makes the much easier to use in some situations.
Format and Specification
|Name||Proforma (3rd Sample of Customization)|
|Category||Proforma Invoice Template|
|Release Date||Saturday, November 23, 2013|
|Format (XLS or XLSX)||.xlsx|
|Line Height (Points)||12.75|
|Papaer Size / Orientation||Portrait|
|Default Margins (Points)|
|Price||Free (0.00 USD)|
|System||Windows 7 and later, and Excel 2007 and later.|
August 27, 2018
- This template was updated to be compatible with UIS 6.
October 31, 2018
- Grouped all the "Taxable" checkbox controls and name the grouped object "oknWidget_taxablegroup". This makes it faster on generating PDF invoices.
- Optimized the field sizes in the "Shipping Details" section.