Why you need a longer description field?
This "Long Product Description" tutorial was written for Excel Invoice Manager. If you are using our new invoicing software, the updated template that supports multiple-line description could be found at template with long product description, in the Sales Invoice Format category.
You may also like to take a look at Multiple-page invoice templates.
Sometimes you may need to enter long product descriptions. For example, if you are in the service business you may need 2 or more lines of space to show the detailed information about your service. You may also want to cut down the number of rows shown a page.
Tip: You can download the sample template from the bottom of this page (foronly).
We will also move all the Product ID cells out of the Print_Area to leave more space for the Product Description cells, and hide several rows on the worksheet to fit the form into standard A4 papers. More information about page layout and printing could be found at printable invoice formats.
Steps of customization
Note that the screen shots and figures are captured at the time our invoicing software was still called. So you may find they are not up-to-date as since 2013 we rebuilt it and renamed it to .
- Copy the standard invoice template ( ) in the installation folder of Excel Invoice Manager, or copy your customized version. Name the new workbook file
- Open the template in Microsoft Excel.
- Unprotect the sheet by clicking Excel menu
Tip: Please find updated document at Customizing. / / .
- Switch the spreadsheet into design mode by clicking the
In design mode, Excel Invoice Manager does not react to the click events on the ActiveX objects, allowing you to move, resize, add or delete ActiveX objects in the worksheet. button on the toolbar. If the toolbar is not displayed, click Excel menu / / .
- Display gridlines and row/column headers by clicking Excel menu / and then checking the corresponding options on the tab.
- The default template has 12 rows on the detail section. To make sure the customized template can be fit into one page, we need to hide several rows. In this example, we will hide 6 rows and leave 6 rows visible / printable.
Note: Please hide appropriate number of rows to make sure there are enough rows leaved on the sheet for you to create all your bills. However, the rows you hide must be the last ones since Excel Invoice Manager validates the form from top to bottom. For example, if you want to hide 3 rows and leave 9 rows on the printable form, then hide row 10, 11, 12.
To do this, firstly we need to move out all the ActiveX controls (Taxable checkboxes, Product-Selection icon buttons) belonging to the last 6 rows. Push the CTRL key, click each of them, release the CTRL key, drag and drop all the 12 controls to an unused area, such as column U.
- Drag your mouse on the row headers of the last 6 rows to select them, right click one of the row headers and choose .
- Push the CTRL key, click to select all the Product-Selection icon buttons on row 1 to row 6. Release the CTRL key, move all the icon buttons to the left of the checkbox controls.
- Drag your mouse to select all the Product ID cells. Push down your left mouse key on the border of the selected area and drag it to an unused area. In this example, we want to be able to view the product id once a product is selected, so we put the Product ID cells in column A.
- Select all the Product Description cells below the label. Click the button on the toolbar to unmerge them.
- Select all cells whose name prefixed with (below the label). Push down your left mouse key on the border of the selected area and drag it to the first column (column F).
- Push your left mouse key on the cell named
Note: After merging, make sure the cell name "" is displayed in the name box of the formula bar. If it is not, click Excel menu / / to point the " " name to the new merged product description cell. and drag to select all the cells you want to use for the new Product Description cell. Click the button on the toolbar to merge it, and then click the button on the same toolbar.
- Repeat the above step to create (merge) the other 5 product description cells.
- Drag your mouse to select all product description cells. Right click one of them and choose the command. Switch to the tab, check the option. Click to close the window.
- Now drag your mouse on the row headers to select all 6 rows on the detail section. Right click one of the row headers and choose . By default, the row height is 20. Now we set it to 40.
- Though all the
Tip: Use the keyboard arrow keys to move the ActiveX controls slightly. To accurately position a control, you can also right-click the control and choose, and then set the and properties. checkboxes and icon buttons have their " " options checked, sometimes Excel still fails to move the ActiveX controls when the row height is increased. Drag and drop the ActiveX controls to the proper location manually if you encounter this problem.
- Now the customization work is almost done. All the things left to do is to format the template - set colors, borders, labels, fonts, etc. You can do most of the job with the dialog, which can be opened by right-clicking a cell and choose the command from the menu.
- Exit design mode and protect the worksheet again.
- Don't forget to print-preview the template by clicking Excel menu Printable invoice forms.
Here is an example of a printed invoice. The PDF invoice looks like it too. / . Make sure the form can be printed on the paper size you choose. For more information on printing, see the topic at
Note: In the default database definition, the size of the Product Description (Product Name) field is 100 characters. This means you can save up to 100 characters in the Product Description field to the backend database.
If this is still not enough for you, with Invoice Manager for Excel you can use the advanced field manager.
If you are using click here to download the sample invoice template created in this tutorial.,